Monday, July 14, 2008

Reading Lists

Hi, you guys. I hope you are keeping up with your reading and journaling. Keep in mind that the idea of your journal entries is that I will be able to see you are understanding what you are reading. Also, a good skill to have in reading is when you are able to "read between the lines." That mean that the author is trying to get a message across to you by using the characters and their confict/resolution through the story. What is the author trying to tell you? It is more than just word by word, black and white on the page. THINK ABOUT IT!

Seventh and eighth graders--the following list is books that you will be reading this upcoming year. I haven't split them grade wise yet, but just so you aren't choosing these books for your journaling:

Johnny Tremain
Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry
Milkweed
My Brother Sam is Dead
Rumble Fish
The Chocolate War
Cheaper By the Dozen
Flowers for Algernon
A Day No Pigs Would Die
These are new books to the SJS Reading Program. These aren't all of them, but the new ones to the program. Let me know if you have any questions! Keep reading...I may be seeing some of you at the fair.

14 comments:

Carrie said...

Some of you asked if you can use the same theme...yeah, if you have to. Also, Friendship is definetly a theme..sorry I am just now answering that because I just noticed that question from a long time ago.

Unknown said...

hi mrs. hurst!!! i miss ya and all my sjs peeps! Can you come to our performance??
~juls

Carrie said...

Hi, Juls. What happened to your blog? I was checking it the other day, and I couldn't find it. I don't think I am going to be able to come...tonight would be the only night, and I have a friend coming in from out of town that I really want to see. Let me know all about it!

Anonymous said...

I got done with the journaling and am doing the summer reading program at the marysville library. I read A Week in the Woods, The Janitor's Boy,and Help, I'm a Prisoner in the Library. The best was A Week in the Woods

~mckenzie

Carrie said...

Good job, McKenzie. I hope you are getting some good prizes out of the reading program at the library. You can turn in anymore books you read for AR points or extra credit.

Anonymous said...

YAY! i'm done with the reading part of the assignment (i have a problem with choosing long books! they r awesome, but take forEVER to read! :) I read city of ember, the book without words, and someone was watching. they were all really really good! :)

Carrie said...

Good job, Natalie. I can't wait to see what you come up with for your journal thoughts. See you at your home visit soon!

Unknown said...

sorry bout my bloggy! the name changed and i have a dot now!! =
www.julsthefashionista.blogspot.combtw the show was great, its ok that you didnt come.
ttyl
xoxo
JULS

Anonymous said...

thx mrs h. 4 xtra a.r. pts do we have 2 do the journal thingy? or the 10 ?s

Carrie said...

For extra credit, you don't have to do the journaling. Just fill out the sheet that I gave you with your packet. If you don't have one, I can bring it with me to Charlotte's home visit, or I can email you one as an attachment if you want it sooner.

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Hurst sorry but i'm not coming back this year, instead i'm going to Fairbanks. But i was really looking forward to having you as my homeroom teacher!

Anonymous said...

ok im pretty sure that i have it but i let char borrow it so you can never know... ok now i asked her and she said she lost it. great! i can never trust her... can u plz email it it to me?? ill email u first so u can get my address

Carrie said...

Hi, you guys. Make sure that if you are posting a comment that you don't post as anonymous. If I don't accept anonymous comments, you won't be able to comment. So, if you aren't willing to say who you are, then your comment doesn't need to be there. Thanks! Mrs. Hurst

Anonymous said...

CLAIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!